Saturday, February 2, 2008

Week #2 Setting up the blog and avatar

I pasted my first HTML element in the Blog. I like it. I already had a blog set up at Bloglines.com with the same blog name. I had posted a couple things about starting out with Follett Destiny library system this summer. It was too cute. My first post was entitled, "Destiny is Ours".

I kind of like Wildcat Cataloger. I feel that way sometimes because I am a sort of hybrid. My degree is in Language Arts/Education and I have a teaching certificate with a school library endorsement. However, when I needed a job and was interviewing for school libraries, this cataloging job came up and I interviewed for it, too. That job is the one that came through and it was paying about the same. I jumped at it because, oddly enough, the cataloging module of the library endorsement coursework was my favorite. (It has been said that this makes me a very strange individual, but "I yam what I yam". )

However, I am not the Head Cataloger. My job is actually entitled: Library Technician. It is a classified position, which means I am not paid to be a teacher-librarian and the job requirements are written for someone with an Associate Degree. I prefer to think that only someone with my unique skill set can do this job as well as I. Because of my background, I am uniquely able to communicate with school librarians and understand their needs. Just as they are a hub between students, teachers, principal, and the community; I am a hub between librarians, the head cataloger, the automated library system, our tech. department, our director. I add items to the library system, create new items by copy-cataloging or original cataloging (mostly fiction, some biography and occasionally non-fiction)

Like those wildcats of long ago who migrated from oil field to oil field, I'm a wildcat; going from book to book, librarian to librarian, certified to classified. I never really know my "place".

No comments: